Criminal Defense Lawyers in Okaloosa County, Florida
Facing arrest or criminal charges in Okaloosa County, Florida can be a frightening and stressful experience. You might be facing questioning by police, may be detained or placed in custody, where police may try to interrogate you, and may even be offered a plea deal. What are your rights in these situations? What can you do to protect yourself? The Alice Harris Law Firm is a criminal defense law firm in Okaloosa County, Florida that can review the evidence and case police have against you, help you understand your options and rights under the law, advocate on your behalf during police questioning, and fight for your freedom and innocence should your case go to trial.
Whether you are facing DUI charges, drug possession charges, assault and battery, domestic violence, manslaughter, burglary, child abuse, or other serious charges in Okaloosa County, Florida, The Alice Harris Law Firm is a criminal defense law firm that can help you. The average person is not expected to understand the intricacies of the criminal justice system. A criminal defense lawyer can help you understand your rights, build the strongest case possible, and help you navigate the various aspects of your case—including determining whether or not to take a plea deal. A criminal defense lawyer can assist with pretrial motions, plea negotiations, jury selection, and representing you during your trial itself. You are innocent until proven guilty. The Alice Harris Law Firm is an Okaloosa County, Florida criminal defense law firm that may be able to help you.
Ways a Criminal Defense Lawyer May Be Able to Help You
There are many ways a criminal defense lawyer may be able to help you before your case goes to trial and during the trial itself. There are many questions individuals might have if they have been arrested or are facing criminal charges. Alice Harris with The Alice Harris Law Firm in Okaloosa County, Florida can help you navigate these issues and questions to assist you in getting the best possible outcome to your criminal case.
- Do I Have the Right to Remain Silent? If you have been arrested, detained, or are being questioned by police, you have the right to remain silent. Moreover, you have the right to ask that a lawyer be present during questioning by police. If you have been arrested and are being asked questions, you should tell officers that you would like to remain silent and ask if you can contact your attorney. The Alice Harris Law Firm is an Okaloosa County, Florida criminal defense law firm that can advocate for you during police questioning.
- Should I Take a Plea Deal? Every criminal case is unique. In some cases, the prosecution has very strong evidence against an individual. In this case, if the prosecution is offering a plea deal, it can sometimes be in the benefit of a suspect to accept the deal. Yet, sometimes, individuals are offered a plea deal when the prosecution’s case isn’t very strong. Taking a plea deal can come with a range of consequences. These consequences can include jail time, and other collateral consequences that can come with having a criminal record. These consequences can include problems getting certain types of jobs in the future, difficulty getting certain types of licenses, and restrictions in accessing certain types of federal aid or assistance. Individuals who are convicted of a crime can face immigration issues as well. Before taking a plea deal, it is wise to have a criminal defense lawyer like Alice Harris in Okaloosa County, Florida review the evidence and help you understand the full range of consequences you may face if you plead guilty to a crime.
- Are there situations where charges can be dropped or reduced? There are certainly some cases where evidence comes to light that results in charges being dropped or reduced. Sometimes a criminal defense lawyer can negotiate with prosecutors for a reduced charge or dropped charge if, upon investigation, it comes to light that the case was mishandled, that police made errors, or other issues with the investigation come to light.
- Building a Defense. The Alice Harris Law Firm is a criminal defense law firm in Okaloosa County, Florida that can research your case, speak to witnesses, and work to build the best possible case permitted under the law. You are innocent until proven guilty and have the right to tell your story in trial.
- Your Advocate—Every Step of the Way. Your criminal defense lawyer is your advocate every step of the way—from standing by your side during police questioning to helping with jury selection and representing you in trial, to fighting through the appeals process, The Alice Harris Law Firm is a criminal defense law firm in Okaloosa County, Florida that fights for the rights of the accused.
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will generally be appointed to you, but hiring a private criminal defense lawyer in Okaloosa County, Florida can be to your advantage. Public defenders may have high caseloads and may only have a limited amount of time to review your case and defend you. The criminal defense lawyer at The Alice Harris Law Firm in Okaloosa County, Florida can fight beside you every step of the way.